E-Bike Battery Explosion Kills 60-Year-Old Rider

The United Kingdom’s Shropshire Star is reporting that 60-year-old Christabel Timmins suffered 55-percent burns and died of multiple organ failure after a charging e-bike battery exploded and caught fire to Timmins’ motorhome. The tragic story can be read by clicking here.

I have posted a number of tips to reduce the risks when charging your e-bike’s battery.  After reading the specifics of this tragedy, I’ve add one more tip…Don’t charge an e-bike battery in a confined space like a motorhome, RV, boat, automobile, van or shed.

Here are all my tips that I hope every e-bike owner will take seriously.

Tips riders can use to reduce/manage e-bike battery fires
1. Never leave a battery charging unattended. Day or night.
2. Don’t overcharge batteries.
3. Don’t charge batteries near combustible or explosive materials.
4. Don’t charge a battery in a confined space like a motorhome, RV, boat, automobile, van or shed.
5. Never charge a battery that has been dropped, damaged or dinged.
6. Never modify a battery.
7. Use only batteries recommended and approved by your bike’s manufacturer.
8. Charge batteries on wire shelving with rollers. This allows an overheating or flaming battery to be quickly rolled away from structures.

Related posts