E-BIKE EXPLODES INTO BALL OF FIRE

The Orange County Register is reporting that the rider of a new E-bike luckily escaped injury when the bike caught fire while parked during a break in an afternoon ride. “Lifeguards on scene reported that the battery was popping and sending projectiles dozens of yards from the fire,” said Mike Halphide, lifeguard battalion chief for the Newport Beach Fire Department. The Register reported that firefighters used a dry chemical to extinguish the blaze. It was fortunate that the bike was isolated on the sand instead of resting on a structure.…

BATTERY CHARGING FIRE HAZARD REAL FOR E-BIKE OWNERS

July 31, 2016 – The Madison Fire Department reported that a fire at Crazy Lenny’s E-Bikes back in April was likely caused by a lithium battery inside one of the e-bikes at the store. Madison, Wisconsin’s, WISC-TV  News 3 reports that the fire caused $350,000 worth of damage to the building and inventory. While battery fires are claimed to be a rare occurrence by E-bike battery suppliers, it is better to play it safe by not leaving a charging battery unattended in your garage or home. If at all possible,…