Modified E-Bike’s Fiery Explosion A Warning

An E-bike with a modified battery ignited into flames that were quickly contained because of the fire’s close proximity to an extinguisher. Reports were not clear if the bike was privately owned or used by a food-delivery service. The Straits Times reports that the fire took place in Singapore where, unlike in the United States, there are strict laws on e-bike modifications (that obviously didn’t deter this owner from making modifications) and there are a much larger number of E-bikes in operation than in the States.

As E-bike use expands in America, businesses and individuals will be tempted to modify their bikes (to extend range, exceed speed limits or save money on replacement batteries), greatly increasing the chance of fires. This is another great argument for restricting E-bikes from natural-surface, multi-user trails where a fire of this type could be catastrophic.

OTHER STORES RELATED TO E-BIKE FIRES:

UPDATE 1/15/20: Modified E-bike’s fiery explosion a warning.

UPDATE 10/21/19: Why communities can’t trust micromobility rental businesses.

UPDATE 10/17/19: Dutch insurers and fire fighters worry about increase in e-bike battery fires.

UPDATE 8/18/19: A sad story from CBS8 reports that Ocean Beach surfboard shaper Ace Elliot has lost his workshop to a fire that he suspects was ignited by his charging e-bike battery.

UPDATE 8/3/19: Lyft has removed their entire E-bike rental fleet from San Francisco after two bikes caught fire.

UPDATE 2/3/19: Forbes reports that it is “unusual for electric bikes to catch fire” in their report on Stella, a Dutch E-bike company that suffered three fires in seven months. While supposedly a rare occurrence, if a charging battery explodes in your garage are you supposed to feel like a lottery winner? Please take the time to read this story that includes steps to reduce (but not eliminate) the chance of burning your house down.

E-bike battery Fires Don’t Have To Happen

Lyft Pulls Rental E-bike Fleet After Battery Fires

Stella E-bike Company Suffers Third Fire In Seven Months

E-Bike Kit Fire Destroys Bike And starts Bush Fire.

DIY E-bike builder destroys family home.

E-bike Battery Fires Fans Flames Of Consumer Concerns.

E-bike fire sends two to hospital.

E-bike explodes in Newport Beach.

E-bike shop damaged by fire.

Homemade electric bike explodes on street.

Four, including baby, taken to hospital after e-bike catches fire.

Faulty electric bike charger caused garage fire, firefighters say.

Electric bicycle catches fire, sends flames up back of house.

Homemade Electric Mountain Bike Explodes.

San Francisco Apartment Fire Linked To Charging e-bike.

Authorities Sound Alarm On Fire Risks Posed By e-bikes.

Related posts